Google

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Mini-review: Opensolaris 2008.05 x86

I was interested Opensolaris because I had an awkward experience with a sun sparc machine several years ago. Once I logged into a storage server and basically the gui stopped running! I was so scared and ran out of the lab immediately (such a jerk...haha)

So my experience was based on a harddisk installation of opensolaris on my thinkpad T61. Specs are not very important in this case, but it's good to know it is using nvidia quadro 140m card.

Pro:
Hardware:
Opensolaris can be downloaded a live cd. But the most exciting part is that both graphics and wireless worked out of the box! These two things were always needed to be setup on linux, even in ubuntu (until those recent versions). =)

Software:
sunstudio?

Cons:
Opensolaris comes with zfs (some kind of sun's file system) and its own modified version of GRUB. Therefore, on my dual/tri-boot machine, the opensolaris can be only boot through the provided version of GRUB...which doesn't make sense at all!!

No comments: